As the days fly by and summer turns to fall, changes to our bodies and skin seem to creep up on us. It’s inevitable.
But you don’t have to give in to time’s relentless march. Your body and skin are resilient if you take care of them – taking care of your skin is just as important as exercising and watching what you eat.
As you age, your skin becomes thinner, less elastic and more vulnerable to wrinkles. The sun’s harmful UV rays are the main cause of fine lines and wrinkles because they break down your skin’s connective tissues. Most wrinkles appear around the eyes, eyebrows and mouth because of repeated facial expressions. The effects of the sun’s damaging rays are cumulative over your lifetime, and repeated, unprotected sun exposure is also the number one cause of skin cancer.
Consider these 8 things to help you ease the signs of facial aging:
- Smile more! Smiling is good; worrying is not. Those frown lines don’t need extra help to deepen.
- Don’t rub, pull or scrub your skin with a rough cloth.
- Use a gentle, easy touch when cleaning your face and applying makeup, especially around your eyes.
- Use a good sunscreen every day. This is important but sunscreen doesn’t do any good hiding in your tote bag. Be sure to choose a product that is at least 30 SPF and re-apply it often to your face, neck and…don’t forget your hands.
- Get in the habit of using moisturizer and eye cream. A retinol cream applied daily may also reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- Stay indoors during the time of day when the sun’s rays are at their most damaging, between noon and five p.m. and don’t tan in tanning beds.
- Smoking accelerates the aging process and causes wrinkles to appear before their time. So if you smoke, cut back or quit.
- Consider an injectable dermal filler if your wrinkles are deep and pronounced.
Call our offices to book a consultation appointment and let us help you live your most beautiful life, every day!